Carat Weight is the unit weight of the diamond. A carat is further subdivided into a 100 points (0.01 carat+1 point). One carat is equal to 0.20 grams. Value of carat increases with carat size, because larger rough diamonds occur less frequently.
10 facts you need to know before buying a diamond
1. Never compromise on the cut as it determines the brilliance of the diamond.
2. Consider only certified diamonds by independent labs like AGS, GIA or EGL
3. Fluorescence — What is good and bad. Know the difference.
4. Be aware of treated diamonds – clarity and color enhancement
5. Only buy loose diamonds
6. Deal with a reputable company and is a member of the AGS – American Gem Society
7. Avoid sales or promotions
8. Know the return policy.
9. Know the upgrade policy.
10. Make sure that everything is written down.